28 Sep SAGE: Learn Your Lessons
-1 Ki. 3 – God granted Solomon 1 wish = asked for wisdom
-God so pleased gave it, along with long life, honor, incredible wealth
THESIS: Men, especially young men, have more information/education & less wisdom
= Unprepared. Uncertain. Unskilled.
Rom 1:22, “Claiming to be wise, they became fools…”
Wise/Wisdom = over 400X English Bible. (Eccl, Sos, Prov, Psalms, Job, James)
- Knowledge tells you what to believe, wisdom tells you how to behave
- Knowledge gives you facts to learn, wisdom gives you faith to live
- Knowledge will challenge your mind, wisdom will change your life
- Knowledge is about information, wisdom is about transformation
- Knowledge comes from school, wisdom comes from the Spirit
- Knowledge helps you good grades, wisdom helps
- Knowledge changes what you know, wisdom changes who you are
- Knowledge is loved by the haughty, wisdom is loved by the humble
- Knowledge is theoretical, wisdom is practical (pots & pans, dollars & cents, wives & kids)
Western Cultural Crisis =We measure value A. intelligence B. Age = BUT NOT WISDOM!
7 Stages of Maturity
1 Corinthians 13:11 When I was a child, I spoke like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I gave up childish ways.
- Baby (first few years) – all decisions & provisions – by another
- Child (school age) – decisions & provisions – combo you/mainly others
- Adolescent (teenager) – most decisions & provisions by you – more freedom/resp.
- Young Adult (college age) – majority decisions & provisions by you
- Adult (launched) – responsible for self
- Mature Adult (spouse, parent) – responsible for others – bless/benefit
- Very Mature Adult (grandparent) – teaching children, grandchildren = legacy
2 Crisis Causing Immaturity
- Younger men – Adolescence extended indefinitely
- Older men reverting back stages (midlife crisis)
A FATHERLY WORD TO YOUNG MEN – get a 10 year head start (Nascar race)
Wisdom Comes from the Holy Spirit Often Through People
Ephesians 1:17 remembering you in my prayers, that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give you the Spirit of wisdom…
James 1:5 If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask God, who gives generously to all without reproach, and it will be given him.
Proverbs 13:20 Whoever walks with the wise becomes wise, but the companion of fools will suffer harm.
- Prayer and worship
- Wise counsel
- Godly authority
= NOTEBOOK STORY
The Holy Spirit Matures Men in Wisdom to Be Like Jesus Christ
Isa 11:2 The Spirit of the Lord shall rest upon him [Jesus], the Spirit of wisdom…
Luke 2:40 the child [Jesus] grew and became strong, filled with wisdom. And the favor of God was upon him.
Luke 2:46-47 they found him [Jesus around age 12] in the temple, sitting among the teachers, listening to them and asking them questions. And all who heard him were amazed at his understanding and his answers.
Luke 2:52 Jesus increased in wisdom and in stature and in favor with God and man.
Luke 3:16b He [Jesus] will baptize you with the Holy Spirit…
Luke 11:13 the heavenly Father [will] give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!”
Jesus = A. Fully God (divinity) B. Fully Man (humanity)
- over 100 XN Scholars Council of Chalcedon prayer & Bible study debate
- Chalcedonian Creed AD 451 “hypostatic union,” JC 1 person 2 natures— fully God/man
- Emmanuel – God w/us
- Added humanity to divinity
= Did not lose divine attributes, chose to not continually use them to benefit self
Apostles (4th Cen) – “born of the Virgin Mary; suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified…”
Nicene (4th Century) – “was incarnate by the Holy Ghost of the Virgin Mary, and was made man, and was crucified also for us under Pontius Pilate…”
- Life? Go to heaven when you die?
- = Christianity about dying not living, for old people not young people.
Jesus’ in Luke
- Elizabeth & Zech “filled w/the HS”, John “filled w/the HS, from his mother’s womb”
- Mary conceived “The Holy Spirit will come upon you.”, “Christ” – anointed HS
- Isaiah 61:1–2 “The Spirit of the Lord is upon me…”
- “full of the Holy Spirit,” “led by the Spirit,” “in the power of the Spirit”, “rejoiced in the HS”
- Baptism – 2/4 Gospels “HS remained”
= Jesus was mature @ every season & identifies w/us @ every season
= sins vs mistakes
= overly responsible (put grace on them). Irresponsible (load them up with responsibility)
Discussion and Prayer
- What area(s) of your life do you have wisdom to help other guys?
- What area(s) of your life do you need wisdom from other guys?
- How can we pray for you?