Life in the Spirit: New Future Romans #17 8:18-30
- Gen. 1-2 everything was “good”; everyone was “very good”
- The world is broken, something has gone wrong, & we cannot live with it
The Problem of Evil: Why is there evil and suffering?
- There is no God – Atheism
- God is not all powerful – Finite Godism
- God is not all knowing – Evolutionary Godism, Open Theism
- God is not all good – Pantheism, Panentheism
- There is no suffering and evil – subjectivism, pluralism
- God is not done yet so patiently live by faith, not sight – Christianity
Yesterday We Ruined the World
Romans 8:18 For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worth comparing with the glory that is to be revealed to us. 19 For the creation waits with eager longing for the revealing of the sons of God. 20 For the creation was subjected to futility, not willingly, but because of him who subjected it, in hope 21 that the creation itself will be set free from its bondage to corruption and obtain the freedom of the glory of the children of God.
- God is better than we think. Our sin is worse than we think.
- Everything flows down from leadership
- Suffering is the path to glory (return to God’s design plan of Gen. 1-2)
- Jesus 1st Coming was for us. Jesus 2nd Coming is for everyone/thing else
- The agenda of radical environmentalists is flawed because it lacks faith
- “Futility” is promised for every human effort to fix our broken planet
Today We Rue the World
Romans 8: 22 For we know that the whole creation has been groaning together in the pains of childbirth until now. 23 And not only the creation, but we ourselves, who have the firstfruits of the Spirit, groan inwardly as we wait eagerly for adoption as sons, the redemption of our bodies. 24 For in this hope we were saved. Now hope that is seen is not hope. For who hopes for what he sees? 25 But if we hope for what we do not see, we wait for it with patience. 26 Likewise the Spirit helps us in our weakness. For we do not know what to pray for as we ought, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words. 27 And he who searches hearts knows what is the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for the saints according to the will of God.
Groaning – A. Pain B. Exhaustion C. Frustration
- Creation – everything
- We – “groaning” “pains” “weakness” & “patience” = “adoption” journey Home
- Spirit – interceded to bring what we don’t have words for to the Father
- Holy Spirit is in us to 1. Unburden 2. Lead 3. Empower us on the journey Home
- This verse is the denial of only & always cheerful Christianity
= MOM: History like pregnancy (contractions closer together & more painful)
Tomorrow We Rule the World
Romans 8:28 And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose. 29 For those whom he foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, in order that he might be the firstborn among many brothers. 30 And those whom he predestined he also called, and those whom he called he also justified, and those whom he justified he also glorified.
- “sunergeo” or synergy
- When? Context: in the Kingdom not now
- Does not say “everything that happens is God’s will”
- Do you “love God”?
The Order of Salvation
- Foreknew –
- God knew all of history in advance including His plan for you.
- Freewill – 1. We are responsible for choices 2. Choices reflect heart (stone) Adam & Eve only 4. Choices limited by God 5. We choose sin/death – “suppress the truth:”, “futile thinking”, “fools”, “debased mind”
- 1524 Erasmus “Freedom of the Will” 1525 Luther “Bondage of the Will”
- Predestine, elect, chose, appointed
- God chose in advance your destiny to salvation & sonship like the Son
- Single (Augustine/Luther) vs Double Predestination (Calvinists)
-Eph. 1:4-5 he chose us in him before the foundation of the world…In love he predestined us
- Sinner – Rom. 3:10-11 “None is righteous, no, not one; no one understands;
no one seeks for God.
- God – Paul’s conversion story (Acts 7:54-8:3, 9:1-31)
Duck Duck Doom ebook
- 2 Kinds – 1. External 2. Internal (effectual)
Rom. 1:6 “you…are called to belong to Jesus Christ”
1 Jn. 4:19 “We love because He first loved us”
Php. 1:6 “I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ”
- God declares you legally righteous by grace from through faith in Jesus Christ.
- God sees you as you will be – fully healed and redeemed in eternity WE KNOW!