The Future Remnant: Romans 11:25-36
- National patriotism (Israel = Paul; YOU?)
- Political party (Pharisees = Paul: YOU?)
- Religion (Judaism = Paul; YOU?)
- Identity politics – sex/gender, race, culture (Jewish male = Paul; YOU?)
- Family (Hebrews are his extended family; YOU?)
Divided Loyalties = A. Apostate B. Remnant
Love vs Loyalty – NOT who you are for, but what you are for (RIGHT) PAUL’s FLIP
The Mystery Box
Romans 11:25 Lest you be wise in your own sight, I do not want you to be unaware of this mystery, brothers: a partial hardening has come upon Israel, until the fullness of the Gentiles has come in. 26 And in this way all Israel will be saved, as it is written, “The Deliverer will come from Zion, he will banish ungodliness from Jacob”; 27 “and this will be my covenant with them when I take away their sins.”
– OT/OC – mainly Jewish w/exceptions (Nineveh, Egypt, Rahab, Ruth)
– NT/NC – mainly Gentile w/exceptions (7 million Israel many atheists, billions XN/s)
What will the Church look like @ the end when Jesus returns w/the Kingdom?
- 11:26 “all Israel will be saved” A. All physical B. All predestined
- 9:6 “not all who are descended from Israel belong to Israel”
- began 9-11 physical vs spiritual & the ELECT
- Replacement Theology vs Dispensational Theology
- ME: One people of God by faith Jew & Gentile (Spiritual Israel/Church)
Sports analogy – player disqualified some games, another takes place until return
The Mystery Box I need box on pulpit that says “mystery” in big letters as a prop
1. A wise person knows that there is a lot that they don’t know
2. We can know truly. We cannot know fully. (omniscience)
3. Closed (certainty) VS Open (mystery)
4. Often we know WHAT not HOW or WHEN (e.g. 1 Cor. 15 resurrection “mystery”)
5. Secrecy vs Privacy – some things are none of our business don’t involve us
- Some things go in the mystery box until you see Jesus & know fully (1 Co. 13:12)
- Some things go in the mystery box & come out later
My 1st Bible study. 1). Answered some 2). Today more 3). Still not all ?
God is Faithful to Generations
Romans 11:28 As regards the gospel, they are enemies for your sake. But as regards election, they are beloved for the sake of their forefathers. 29 For the gifts and the calling of God are irrevocable. 30 For just as you were at one time disobedient to God but now have received mercy because of their disobedience, 31 so they too have now been disobedient in order that by the mercy shown to you they also may now receive mercy. 32 For God has consigned all to disobedience, that he may have mercy on all.
· God saved Abraham, made promises, & was faithful to bring Israel & Jesus Christ
· Many Jewish people loved God. Many Jewish people did not love God.
What will God do?
-Rom 3:3 What if some were unfaithful? Does their faithlessness nullify the faithfulness of God?
-2 Tim 2:13 if we are faithless, he remains faithful— for he cannot deny himself.
Huston Smith, The Religions of Man– Jewish survival cannot be explained by natural forces. We have already quoted the judgment of a sociologist that “by every sociological law the Jews should have perished long ago”; to which we may now add that of a noted philosopher, Nicholas Berdyaev: “The continued existence of Jewry down the centuries is rationally inexplicable.”
- God has preserved the Jewish people & nation of Israel
- Difference: Blessed in this life. Saved to eternal life.
-God – shocking plot twist Hail Mary pass before Jesus returns (Paul a miracle)
-“MERCY” 4X Hope for your family/nation! INVITATION
God is Not A Concept to Be Mastered But A Person to be Worshipped
Romans 11:33 Oh, the depth of the riches and wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable are his judgments and how inscrutable his ways! 34 “For who has known the mind of the Lord, or who has been his counselor?” 35 “Or who has given a gift to him that he might be repaid?” 36 For from him and through him and to him are all things. To him be glory forever. Amen.
G.K. Chesterton “The poet only asks to get his head into the heavens. It is the logician who seeks to get the heavens into his head. And it is his head that splits.”
1. Wisdom (Deep =ocean bottom; Rich – generous) – God knows what He’s doing so trust Him
2. Knowledge – God has all the facts so don’t doubt Him or disagree w/Him
3. Judgment – God always make the right decision and no one judges God
4. Inscrutable – God’s ways are beyond our understanding & so we should not 2nd guess Him
- Who has known the mind of the Lord? NO ONE!
- Who has been His counselor? NO ONE!
- Who has anything that God needs? NO ONE!
- Stop & worship @ end of thought unit (longer than most in NT)
- Knowledge puffs up, Love builds up (1 Cor. 8:1)
- Worship in Study; Then Worship in Song & Surrender
(Romans 1-8 ends) 8:38-39 For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord.
(Romans 9-11 ends) 11:3-35
(Romans 12-16 ends) 16:27 to the only wise God be glory forevermore through Jesus Christ! Amen.
- 1-11 mainly vertical relationship w/God & thought leader
- 12-16 mainly horizontal relationship w/others & people leader
FROM HIM – everything & everyone comes from our Creator God.
THROUGH HIM – everything & everyone is sustained by God Faithful God
TO HIM – everything & everyone belongs to God & will give an account to God our Lord
To him be glory forever. Amen.