15 Apr THE KING IS DEAD: 12 Reasons Jesus Died for You
CROSS = old hymn “an emblem of suffering & shame”
- Tertullian & symbol
- Hitler – Jews in Dachau
- Nazis – Allied bayonets & knives legs/shoulder/throat/testicles
- Khmer Rouge – Cambodia
- Sudan – Africa
- Jesus boy – 4 AD mass crucifixion of Jews for uprising against Rome
Crucifixion = state sponsored terror
- Impailing 800 BC Persians?
- Romans perfected
- Stipe (permanent post) & patibulum (the crossbar).
- Up to 9 days
- Public like beheadings
- Women facing cross
Excruciating = “from the cross”
– Alexander 71 BC – Spartacus died battle 6000 followers crucified along 120 miles
1.Jewish Josephus “most wretched of deaths”
2. Roman Cicero – Romans not crucified or speak of it
3. God’s people Deut. 21:22–23 “if a man has committed a crime punishable by death and he is put to death, and you hang him on a tree… a hanged man is cursed by God.”
· Bodies often discarded
- Sweating blood – “hematidrosis”
- Betrayed. Blindfolded. Beaten
- Sleepless & Scourged – flogged w/flagrum or cat-o-nine tails
- Skin, muscle, tendon, bones, lungs bruised
- Shock, blood loss, heart strained
- Rib fly off body
- Isaiah = disfigured beyond resemblance
- Crown thorns – THE KING of KINGS
- Carry cross miles – few 100 lbs
- Collapsed, chest trauma
- Chest contusion & aneurysm, lungs filling carbon monoxide
- Like head on car crash
- Pulled bear, spit, cursed
- Nailed nerve centers
- No retaliation =1. Sponge. 2. Prayer. 3. IT IS FINISHEd!
- Pronounced DEAD. SPEAR. BURIED. DARKNESS. = THE KING IS DEAD
1. JESUS DIED TO TAKE YOUR PLACE
1 John 4:10 This is love: not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as an atoning sacrifice for our sins.
-Penal Substitutionary Atonement (at-one-meant)
SIN = Nature/Choice; Thought/Word/Deed/Motive; Commission/Omission
You are sinful & took God’s place in your life. God is Holy & cannot tolerate sin.
#1. You atone (Hell). #2. Jesus atones (Cross) =+
2. JESUS DIED TO DEFEAT SATAN
Colossians 2:13–15 you, who were dead in your trespasses….God made alive together with him, having forgiven us all our trespasses, by canceling the record of debt that stood against us with its legal demands. This he set aside, nailing it to the cross. He disarmed the rulers and authorities and put them to open shame, by triumphing over them in him.
SIN = surrendering to Satan.
#1. Satan is your king #2. Jesus is your King =+
3. JESUS DIED TO SET YOU FREE
1 Peter 1:18-19 it was not with perishable things such as silver or gold that you were redeemed from the empty way of life handed down to you from your forefathers, but with the precious blood of Christ, a lamb without blemish or defect.
SIN = slavery (Exodus – slaves in Egypt, set free to worship God)
#1. Live your old life w/o change (hell up) #2. Live your new life (Heaven down) =+
4. JESUS DIED AS YOUR SACRIFICE
Hebrews 9:11-12 When Christ came as high priest…He did not enter by means of the blood of goats and calves; but he entered the Most Holy Place once for all by his own blood…
-New Covenant Sacrifice
SIN = death
OT – blood over 450X = unblemished animals sacrificed for sin
Today – no Temple, Priest, Sacrifice
#1. Future you shed ur blood #2. Future Jesus shed His blood =+
5. JESUS DIED TO MAKE YOU RIGHT WITH GOD
Romans 5:16-17 the gift of God is not like the result of the one man’s sin: The judgment followed one sin and brought condemnation, but the gift followed many trespasses and brought justification. For if, by the trespass of the one man, death reigned through that one man, how much more will those who receive God’s abundant provision of grace and of the gift of righteousness reign in life through the one man, Jesus Christ.
SIN = guilty of breaking God’s perfect unchanging laws
#1. Live/Die not right w/God #2. God makes things right w/you =+
6. JESUS DIED TO MAKE YOU RIGHTEOUSNESS
2 Corinthians 5:21 For our sake he made him to be sin who knew no sin, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God.
SIN = unrighteousness (you are not right & things w/God not right)
#1. Imperfect works righteousness #2. Perfect Gift Righteousness =+
7. JESUS DIED TO SATISFY GOD’S WRATH
Matthew 26:39 he fell on his face and prayed, saying, “My Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me; nevertheless, not as I will, but as you will.”
SIN – your war causes God’s wrath
A. Passive wrath fills the cup. B. Active wrath someone drinks every drop
#1. You drink – Rev 14:10 will drink the wine of God’s wrath, poured full strength into the cup of his anger, and…will be tormented
#2. Jesus drinks your cup on the cross =+
= UR SAVED FROM GOD BY GOD TO GOD
8. JESUS DIED TO MAKE YOU CLEAN
1 John 1:7–9 if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus his Son cleanses us from all sin. If we say we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
SIN = defilement/unclean/dirty/filthy
#1. Hide/Blame/Excuse/Celebrate sin #2. Jesus cleanses ur sin =+
= Day of Atonement 1. Substitute goat 2. Scapegoat
9. JESUS DIED TO PAY YOUR DEBT
1 Timothy 2:5–6 there is one God, and there is one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus, who gave himself as a ransom…
SIN = debt to God
#1. You pay your debt in Hell #2. Jesus pays your debt =+
10. JESUS DIED AS YOUR EXAMPLE
1 Peter 2:21 Christ suffered for you, leaving you an example, that you should follow in his steps.
SIN = not like Jesus who is “normal” or perfect
#1. Return evil for evil #2. Return good for evil =+
11. JESUS DIED TO RECONCILE YOU TO GOD
Romans 5:10–11 if while we were enemies we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, now that we are reconciled, shall we be saved by his life…we also rejoice in God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have now received reconciliation.
SIN – separation/independence from Holy God
#1. Remain separated forever as enemies #2. Be reconciled as friends through Jesus =+
12. JESUS DIED TO REVEAL GOD
John 1:18 No one has ever seen God, but God the One and Only, who is at the Father’s side, has made him known.
SIN = blindness to God
#1. Live & die not knowing JC as God #2. Live & die knowing JC as only God =+
- Jesus came down 1st time King in Humility to be punished
- Jesus coming down 2nd time King in Glory to punish
I – tell truth. You – most important decision. You die in your sins. Jesus died for your sins