05 Nov What Is the Air and the Ground War in Spiritual Warfare? Nehemiah 8
Every ministry has to overcome anti-ministry = spiritual warfare
- Jesus said He would build the Church, & the gates hell not prevail against it
- Gates = defensive force
- Satan spiritual captives behind gates (addiction, bitterness, trauma, lies, demonic)
- Spiritual War – Jesus set captives free & sends us to tear down gates
Air war – planes/drones/helicopters /// Large events, publishing, broadcasting
Ground war – boots on ground. /// Groups, prayer, classes, relationships
-Roughly 50,000 people moved back to the city (80k moved to Phx metro in 2022)
The War is Against the Word (Nehemiah 8:1-5)
“all the people gathered…And they told Ezra the scribe to bring the Book of the Law of Moses that the Lord had commanded Israel…he read from it…from early morning until midday, in the presence of the men & the women & those who could understand. And the ears of all the people were attentive to the Book of the Law. And Ezra the scribe stood on a wooden platform that they had made… Ezra opened the book in the sight of all the people, for he was above all the people, & as he opened it all the people stood.”
- 1 week after wall complete – top priority
- Their NY Day – perfect for new start (SOS 2023)
- Nehemiah built platform. Ezra preached from it (unity, humility)
- Long – 6 hours (141 yrs)
- Biblical “book of the Law of Moses” – Pentateuch
- Authoritative – Word open, over everyone
=All battles to prevent ppl gathering under Word (pr, $, legal, security, political)
My testimony of ignoring then loving God’s Word. REAL FAITH RESOURCES
Spiritual War Has an Air War and a Ground War (Nehemiah 8:6-8)
Ezra blessed the Lord, the great God, & all the people answered, “Amen, Amen,” lifting up their hands. And they bowed their heads & worshiped the Lord with their faces to the ground. Also [names leaders &] the Levites, helped the people to understand the Law…They read from the book, from the Law of God, clearly, and they gave the sense, so that the people understood the reading.
- Air War – big church service (RF live, platforms, social media, devos, books etc.)
- Ground War – groups & classes (kids, students, men’s, women’s ya, prem, par)
=Every XN part of the ground war
Bible Preaching has God’s Anointing (Nehemiah 8:9-12)
Nehemiah…the governor, & Ezra the priest & scribe, & the Levites who taught the people said…“This day is holy to the Lord your God; do not mourn or weep.” For all the people wept as they heard the words of the Law. Then he said to them, “Go your way. Eat the fat & drink sweet wine & send portions to anyone who has nothing ready, for this day is holy to our Lord. And do not be grieved, for the joy of the Lordis your strength.” So the Levites calmed all the people, saying, “Be quiet, for this day is holy; do not be grieved.” And all the people went their way to eat & drink & to send portions & to make great rejoicing, because they had understood the words that were declared to them.
- Emotional Conviction sin (not condemnation: 1). from God 2). specific 3).change
- Revival starts w/Bible preaching
Bible reads you! HS Heb. 4:12 (GNT) It judges the desires & thoughts of the heart.
Live Under His Word (Nehemiah 8:13-18)
the heads of fathers’ houses of all the people, with the priests & the Levites, came together to Ezra…to study the words of the Law. And they found it written…that the Lord had commanded by Moses that the people of Israel should dwell in booths during the feast of the seventh month…And all the assembly of those who had returned from the captivity made booths & lived in the booths, for…the people…had not done so. And there was very great rejoicing. And day by day, from the first day to the last day, he read from the Book of the Law of God. They kept the feast 7 days, & on the 8th day there was a solemn assembly, according to the rule.
- Changed schedule, budget, priorities, location
- God does not bless people.
- God does bless people who place themselves under His Word.
-FLIGHT. Headwind vs Tailwind
- Generations were somewhat spiritual, but did not know the Bible
- Leader – broken heart
- Remnant pulled together
- War to get the Church open for Bible teaching & worship
- As soon as possible, the Church met for a 6 hr sermon over everyone
- The “Law” convicted people of their sin
-613 Laws in “the Book of the Law of Moses” (10 Comm.)
-121 “law” referred to by Paul in NT
Law – God’s perfect, unchanging, external authority judging everyone
VS secular – I am my own authority, God does not judge me, I judge others
VS religions – I save myself by obeying the laws of my religion
- Law – cannot save
-names my sin (thought/word/deed/motive: omission/commission)
-tempts my sin nature
=sin is not just what I do. Sin is who I am. My big problem under all problems.
“all the people wept as they heard the words of the Law.”
- The gospel brought people from conviction to celebration
“do not be grieved, for the joy of the Lord is your strength…And all the people went their way to eat & drink & to send portions & to make great rejoicing, because they had understood the words that were declared to them.”
- Law – shows me my sin
- Jesus came w/o sin (Jn. 8:46) to fulfill law (Matt. 5:17)
Great Exchange –
- Faith IN JESUS. Grace FROM JESUS.
Resurrection – Jesus goes up. HS comes down!
- HS – new 1). Nature 2). Desires 3). Power
- New & one day perfect
People’s Spirit-led response
- Obedience –
- Passionate worship –
“Amen, Amen,” lifting up their hands. And they bowed their heads & worshiped the Lord with their faces to the ground.