18 Jun You Can Be Healthy in a Sick World!:1 Peter 1:23-2:12 (Father’s Day) Sermon Notes
Nutrition & my experience
Pastor Jimmy – show me your diet I’ll predict illness
Scripture Makes You Healthy
1 Peter 1:23-2:3 you have been born again, not of perishable seed but of imperishable, through the living and abiding word of God; “All flesh is like grass and all its glory like the flower of grass. The grass withers, and the flower falls, but the word of the Lord remains forever.” And this word is the good news that was preached to you. So put away all malice and all deceit and hypocrisy and envy and all slander. Like newborn infants, long for the pure spiritual milk, that by it you may grow up into salvation— if indeed you have tasted that the Lord is good.
Exiles & strangers in the world need each other more than ever
These 4 destroy relationships & families/church families
- Malice: ill will, hurt w/words &/or deeds
= You hurt/fail I’m happy. You win/blessed I’m upset
- Deceit: not totally true, deception, dishonesty, skewing the facts, ulterior motives
- Hypocrisy – 27X variations in NT – Greek actor wearing mask changing roles. Not Peter (sinner) but Judas
- Envy: jealousy & coveting vs contentment (social media)
- Slander: Satan means “slander” make us look good by making them look bad
Healthy Diet – “sound doctrine” – healthy =
People product of teaching.
Nutrition & kids
- Your palette needs to be discipled
- It can take a while to go from sick to healthy
- Once you get healthy, you realize how sick you were
My desire for Bible changed my life. Want the same for you! 1 Menu Item
The Power of 4 Effect
Back to the Bible had 400,000 people surveyed
Those who read the Bible 4+ days a week are
- 407% more likely to memorize Scripture
- 228% more likely to share faith with others
- 59% less likely to view pornography
- 30% less likely to struggle with loneliness
Only book you read & the author meets with you!
You Can Build Your Life on Jesus
1 Peter 2:4 As you come to him, a living stone rejected by men but in the sight of God chosen and precious, 5 you yourselves like living stones are being built up as a spiritual house, to be a holy priesthood, to offer spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ. 6 For it stands in Scripture: “Behold, I am laying in Zion a stone, a cornerstone chosen and precious, and whoever believes in him will not be put to shame.” 7 So the honor is for you who believe, but for those who do not believe, “The stone that the builders rejected has become the cornerstone,” 8 and “A stone of stumbling, and a rock of offense.” They stumble because they disobey the word, as they were destined to do.
- Reject: world
- Offensive stone -Stumbling stone – Rejected stone = won’t stand
- Received: God
- chosen & precious
- Reject or Receive: You?
- Culture of “shame” or “honor” (God, mother/father, authority)
- OT – Temple made of stones size of a tiny house
- Jesus is our cornerstone. We start w/Jesus & build our “spiritual house”
Zion – name for Kingdom of God on earth – connection Heaven & Earth
Everyone wants to live in Zion (justice, prosperity, safety, love, unity, joy)
How do you build Zion? Start w/a cornerstone (Isaiah 8:18, 28:16; Ps. 118:22)
You Can Be Healthy in a Sick World
1 Peter 2:9 But you are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for his own possession, that you may proclaim the excellencies of him who called you out of darkness into his marvelous light. 10 Once you were not a people, but now you are God’s people; once you had not received mercy, but now you have received mercy.11 Beloved, I urge you as sojourners and exiles to abstain from the passions of the flesh, which wage war against your soul. 12 Keep your conduct among the Gentiles honorable, so that when they speak against you as evildoers, they may see your good deeds and glorify God on the day of visitation.
- chosen race (not races, 1 race of nations)
- royal priesthood
- holy nation
- a people for his possession that you may proclaim the excellencies of him
- called…out of darkness into his marvelous light
- Once you were not a people, but now you are God’s people
- once you had not received mercy, but now you have received mercy
- sojourners and exiles
- (can) abstain from the passions of the flesh, which war against your soul
- Non- XN 1. are watching 2. will speak against you 3. will call you evildoers
- Jesus is coming so get yourself ready, and help others get read!
Father’s Day – Men Go First, Bradford Wilcox